Thursday, January 26, 2012

Trying vs. Doing

We had a lovingly amazing Art of Living Course last week with the most fabulous group of women. This week we chose “Trying versus Doing” as our focus point. We’re each paying attention to when the word “try” comes up in our conversations. “Trying” reflects a half-hearted effort with a notion of failure built into it. “Trying” just causes strain in the mind. So, we’re seeing what happens when we say “do” instead.

I realized I’d been using “try” when my trainer at the gym wished me a happy new year on January 24th! Seems I’ve been “trying” to get to the gym. And, indeed, there’s been a bit of achey-whiney, whishy-washy-ness in my head each time I’ve thought “I need to get to the gym.” I might have well said “I’m trying to finish my thank you notes from my wedding.” (Yes, 11 years later, it’s still an unfinished project. I think that’s gone and done for now.) 

Trying lead me to Regretting! Never noticed that before. Seems that the things I "try" to do are things I really want to do. And when I don't, I regret not having done them. oops. 

So, “trying to go to the gym” has been causing me heart ache in my head. When I switched that in my head to “I’m going to the gym twice a week,” immediately my brain followed up with “OK, I’ll go on Tuesdays when I have a babysitter and then I just need to coordinate with Mandeep to go on either Saturday or Sunday. In fact, I can certainly get there Saturday & Sunday and buy a video to follow at home.”

Heart ache gone! Yahoo-ness Here I am!

Hmmm…what else am I “trying” to do? It ain’t worth a dime for the exhaustion it’s causing in my head and I can instead just do it and enjoy having done it!

Let’s see…
1.     Calling a short list of folks I need to get back to --- OK, I’ll do that today.
2.     Ordering pictures for Chetana’s photo album – OK, I have time tonight to do that.
3.     Drinking water! Turns out I’m thirsty right now. --- off I go to get water.
Jai Gurudev! ~ Victory to the Big Mind that is Peace, Joy & Love and it’s in each of us!