Saturday, October 29, 2011

Day Five: Go Boldly, Brave Explorers!

Our end-of the-day bath time is very snuggley & often ends in a bit of challenge as Chetana decides it's time to nurse when she has one arm in her pajamas and a diaper barely on. We struggle a bit. Until we discovered..."Space Girl Sandhu!" She loves the "count down to blast off" and the tales of the brave adventures of Astronaut Sandhu! (The people of Earth are so grateful to her, but they ask if she would please wear her space suit & helmet &, indeed, her diaper.)

Since becoming a Mommy I’ve had an entire shift of skills, responsibilities, daily routine, conversation topics, interests, perspectives, awareness, pace of life, priorities, conviction, devotion, earnestness, determination, pain tolerance, love and steadfastness.

I’m on-goingly faced with new challenges and I’ve gained a skill related to that situation. I used to be scared when I saw a new challenge in my life, “Oh, my! It’s too much! I’m overwhelmed.” Well, it was true. Based on the skills I had up until that point, the new challenge was overwhelming, and “too much.”

Now? I look at new situations arising and I find myself instantly thinking, “Well, let’s go see what skills I have that I didn’t know I had. Let’s go discover more about myself.”

This was the situation when we headed up North to Canada to the beautiful Art of Living Ashram. Again and again my thoughts would start going down hill to “this is too much! I can’t handle shaking up Chetana’s entire schedule, not knowing where she’ll take naps, what she’ll eat, how well she’ll sleep…what if…”

And then, very peacefully, I’d have a lovely, loving voice say, “Let’s go see what skills we have that we haven’t discovered yet. We’re going to grow!”

I think this is the voice in which I  speak to Chetana when I whisper in her ear while we’re bundled together in a mommy-baby carrier and heading off to a new adventure. “Come, Chetana. Let’s go have an adventure. Let’s go discover something new.”

Yahoo for childhood-motherhood! We’re co-discoverers!