Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day 4: Speak slowly. Listen.

Day 4:
Spotlight: 9:05 AM
Our wonderful babysitter arrives and I’m rattling off words and facts…without listening. Neither to what I’m saying nor to what she is saying – even in response to questions I’m asking. This is nothing new with me. But today as I’m driving off to yoga class, I’m wondering what it’s all about.

Wisdom Uncovered:
Well, it’s that rushing thing. And rushing through a conversation just leaves me feeling more rushed and frantic. I’ve noticed the person I’m talking to also starts talking fast and, like me, not finishing their sentences. We end up not talking to each other, but talking at each other. End Game: Exhaustion.     New Game: S l o w   d o w n…s l o w…listen…listen… Aha! When I'm formulating my next comment and waiting to throw in my "listen to what I have to say!" then it will inevitably be a volley of words and not a response as I've not even heard what was said. Ahoy! And, silence is golden. My dear Guruji says the purpose of words is to lead to silence…silence the thoughts in the mind. Bingo! Jai Gurudev!